Registration deadline: September 4, 2017
Sponsored by Windworks Studio, the Young Artist Chamber Music Competition will be held on Saturday, October 7 during Penn State Flute Day. Novice, advanced, and senior groups of three or more flute players are acceptable. The first-place chamber music winner will receive a cash prize of $50 (per ensemble), a plaque, and an encore performance on Saturday, October 7 at 5:00 p.m. Second and third-place winners will receive a plaque. All others will receive a certificate of participation.
There is a non-refundable $25 registration fee required for each ensemble (includes one $15 registration for Flute Day, all additional ensemble members must register and pay registration for Flute Day). Checks or money orders should be made payable to "Penn State Flute Club." Please include the names of the ensemble members in the memo line of the check (or provide on an additional sheet). Send checks (or bring on the day of the competition) to:
- Naomi Seidman
- Young Artist Competition Registration
- 213 Music Building II
- Penn State University
- University Park, PA 16802
Any ensemble members participating in the solo competition must also register and pay for the solo competition.
Note: parents accompanying their children are not required to register.
Click here for information about the solo competition.
- Two pieces in contrasting genres (i.e. baroque and romantic, classical and modern).
- Multiple movements of a multi-movement work may be considered one piece if within the time limit.
- Compositions should demonstrate students' abilities to play both technically and lyrically.
- Both pieces must be well-prepared and presented.
- Two selections not to exceed 10 minutes in total length
- No single composition may be longer than 8 minutes.
Music and Copies
- All performers must have original music - no photocopies are allowed.
- Bring an additional 3 complete sets of the music for the adjudicators. Photocopies are acceptable. These will be kept and destroyed at the conclusion.
- Number the measures of all adjudicator scores for ease of reference by the judges.
- Auditionees should convey themselves in a professional manner and wear appropriate attire for the audition and, if selected, for the encore recital.
- Girls should wear a dress, skirt, or dress slacks, and a blouse/sweater. Dresses and skirts should be knee-length or longer when standing.
- Boys should wear a suit or dress slacks, dress shirt, sweater, or sport coat (tie optional).
- Jeans, sweatpants, sneakers, noisy jewelry, heavy perfumes etc. should not be worn.
- Judges' decisions on all awards and eligibility will be final.
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in any category in any division.
- Winners should make arrangements to pick up their awards during Flute Day.
- If the winning ensemble is unable to perform at the recital, awards will be mailed.