Auditions for the M.M. in performance or the Professional Performance Certificate should reflect a mastery of the fundamentals of clarinet playing, including a high degree of technical achievement, articulation, and tonal control. The audition should reveal a mature approach to phrasing and expressiveness. Auditions will last about twenty-five minutes and should include the following:
- a repertoire list of previously studied literature and a biographical statement
- all major and minor scales (harmonic and melodic) with arpeggios
- one complete solo piece (i.e. concerto, sonata, French conservatory piece)
- two additional works representative of different style periods. These may be two contrasting movements from two contrasting pieces.
- a minimum of five excerpts from standard orchestral repertoire
Clarinet applicants should arrange an audition directly with the instructor. If the instructor requests that the audition occur on one of our undergraduate audition days, please complete the online audition scheduling form. Applicants who wish to be considered for graduate assistantships should schedule auditions/interviews as early as possible.Instructor: Anthony J. Costa