- a major work for four-mallet marimba
- other four-mallet music of a contrasting style for either marimba or vibraphone (jazz is acceptable)
- a two-mallet work for marimba or xylophone demonstrating advanced technical ability
- an advanced non-rudimental solo or etude for snare drum
- an advanced rudimental-style snare drum solo
- common orchestral excerpts for timpani as well as all standard orchestral percussion instruments
Demonstration of technique and knowledge of musical styles on the drum set is also expected. A thorough knowledge of all scales, arpeggios, and standard snare drum rudiments should be demonstrated.
Accompaniment in solo works is not required. If the applicant wishes, a CD or DVD of recent performances (i.e. senior recital) may be submitted in advance of the audition for additional evaluation.
Percussion applicants should arrange an audition directly with the instructor. If the instructor requests that the audition occur on one of our undergraduate audition days, please complete the online audition scheduling form. A live audition is typically required. Applicants may choose to submit pre-screening video in advance of the audition.
Applicants who wish to be considered for graduate assistantships should schedule auditions/interviews as early as possible.
Further guidance regarding appropriate repertoire and preparation for the audition can be obtained by contacting: