Donald Hopkins came to Penn State in 1962 as a member of the Alard String Quartet. He was a member of the Quartet at its inception in 1954 and served as either the first or second violinist for over 40 years. He was appointed to the Penn State faculty in 1964 and retired in 1997 as Associate Professor of Music Emeritus. During the intervening years he taught violin, viola, chamber music, conducting, music theory, and literature courses in chamber, orchestral, and twentieth century music. He was active in the development of the Master of Music programs, and the development of the curriculum for the applied music programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels. He was also Graduate Officer and the chair of the graduate committee for many years. For over 25 years he coordinated the highly successful Chamber Music Workshop at Penn State.