October 18, 2014
The Penn State Flute Club sponsors its third annual Flute Day, bringing together flutists of all ages for performances, masterclasses, workshops, and a "Young Performers Competition."
Kicking off the festivities is a recital on Friday evening, October 17 featuring Pennsylvania flutists as well as junior and adult flute choirs. Saturday's schedule, beginning at 9:00 a.m., includes workshops in sight-reading, marching piccolo techniques, and audition strategies, as well as masterclasses and the young artist competition.
Headlining the guest artists is Bonita Boyd, flute professor at the Eastman School of Music. Boyd will present a collegiate masterclass and an afternoon recital with pianist Ann Deighton. Other guest artists for Penn State’s Flute Day include:
- Eleanor Armstrong, Penn State (Professor Emerita)
- Elise Blatchford, University of Memphis
- Morgann Davis, Apostle Academy of Arts & Sciences
- Caroline Gardner, State College School District
- Cathy Herrera, Juniata College
- Rebecca Johnson, Eastern Illinois University
- Dan Sanchez, Penn State Blue Band
- Kim Trolier, Franklin & Marshall College
For further information, please access the Flute Day registration form. There is a $10.00 registration fee for all; $25.00 if entering the competition (mailed separately). Contact Professor Naomi Seidman at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
The Penn State Flute Day is generously supported by the Duncan Fund, Windworks Studio, Powell Flutes, and the School of Music. All events are open to the public.