Applications must be postmarked by October 14, 2019
First Prize $1000; Second Prize $750
The collegiate competition will be held on Saturday, November 9, 2019. It is open to piano students who are enrolled and currently pursuing undergraduate or graduate level music studies. There is a one-time, non-refundable $75.00 application fee required for participation. Checks or money orders (which can be obtained from the post office for a small fee) should be made payable to "Penn State University." Please include "Garcia Piano Competition" and the name of the applicant in the memo line. Application fee postmarked by October 14, 2019. Send checks to:
- Garcia Piano Competition c/o Christopher Guzman
- 233 Music Building I
- Penn State University
- University Park, PA 16802
Applicants must be prepared with the following repertoire for the competition:
1. Major work by J.S. Bach (i.e., Prelude and Fugue, principal movements of suites, Italian Concerto)
2. Complete classical sonata (Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, etc.)
3. Major work of the contestant's choice from the Romantic, 20th-century, or 21st-century literature
4. Students may program additional works, although these may be heard only at the judges' discretion.
With the exception of avant-garde works, all repertoire must be memorized. Any exceptions must be requested in the application and approved by the faculty. You may select the first work to perform at the competition, and the judges will select the remainder of the program. Total competition performance time will not exceed 20 minutes. Your first piece and others may be stopped early at the judges' request to accommodate the performance time.
- Previous first-place winners may not compete again in the same level. Previous high school winners may enter the collegiate competition if eligible.
- Judges are professional pianists. Judges' decisions on all awards and eligibility will be final.
- Students must be present at the awards ceremony to remain eligible for any prizes.
For more information, or questions about any part of the Garcia competition process, please call 814-863-4405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.