In order to apply, you must submit a video audition via YouTube and then fill out the proper application form for the area(s) of study in which you are interested.
- If you don't have a YouTube account, please create one by going to:http://www.youtube.com. Click on "sign in" in the upper right hand corner and follow the directions to create an account.
- PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME as identification (no nicknames) as the title of your video.
- Upload your video, following the instructions provided on YouTube.
- Under the video settings, be sure to choose “unlisted,” for copyright and privacy concerns.
- Once your performance video has been uploaded to YouTube, copy and paste the URL of your video into the application form where indicated. (Links to application forms are listed at the bottom of this page.)
You may submit audition videos/applications for more than one area of study, but will be placed in only ONE, based on the review of the audition videos.
You will find the areas of study listed below. Each one links to an application form and audition instructions specific to that area of study. Good luck!
All accepted students are required to participate in the final concerts on Saturday, July 21.
Should you be accepted into The Honors Music Institute, you will receive registration materials electronically. Registration fees are $945 for resident participants and $745 for commuters, due July 2. After July 2, fees increase to $995 for resident participants and $795 for commuters. Registration fees includes instruction, meals, and materials as well as lodging for the residential participants. Participants will have the opportunity to have a 30 minute private lesson with Honors Music Institute faculty for an additional $30.00, or a 45 minute lesson for $45.00.
Partial scholarships will be available to qualified students upon acceptance to The Honors Music Institute. Scholarship information will be sent with registration materials to accepted participants. We encourage students to explore other possibilities for funding such as school music parent organizations, community/religious organizations and do-it-yourself fundraising websites such as GoFundMe (www.gofundme.com).
Note: Rising seniors interested in majoring in music at Penn State may have the opportunity to have their participation in The Honors Music Institute serve as their audition to the Penn State School of Music. Information to follow upon acceptance to The Honors Music Institute.
Penn State University Ethics and Compliance for Youth Programs