Auditionees for the saxophone studio should prepare the required audition material listed below. Please read carefully. Note that jazz skills are optional.
Prepare at least two solo selections of contrasting style from the standard concert (“classical”) saxophone repertoire. The selections may be a complete piece, a multi-movement piece, selected movements of the same piece, or selected movements of different pieces. Total duration of prepared repertoire pieces should be approximately 12-15 minutes.
Students should select and prepare material that represents their best playing, with attention to musical expression, tone quality, appropriate stylistic considerations, and technical facility. Several advanced etudes may be performed in place of one of the selections. Click here for examples of appropriate repertoire.
Scales should be performed as 16th-notes at a minimum tempo of 80, slurred. Articulation variations are optional.
- all major scales, full range of the instrument, ascending and descending
- chromatic scale, full range of the instrument, ascending and descending
- candidate's choice of three harmonic minor scales, full range of the instrument, ascending and descending
Applicants may also be asked to demonstrate additional skills, including sight-reading, interpretive variations in the solo repertoire, ear training, and scale variations.
Jazz Skills (Optional)
In addition to items above, students may also elect to perform jazz selections.
- Interpret the melody of, and improvise on, a jazz standard tune or blues
- Perform a transcription of a recorded jazz solo, playing along with the recording.
Auditionees should bring their own CD/ipod recording of the accompaniment and transcriptions with which they will play.For directions about formally applying to Penn State, please visit Application Process. Once the application has been submitted, please schedule an audition by completing the online scheduling form.