Registration deadline: September 18, 2017
Sponsored by Windworks Studio, the Young Artist Solo Competition will be held on Saturday, October 7 during Penn State Flute Day. There are three divisions: junior novice (up to age 11); junior advanced (ages 12-14); and senior (ages 15-18, high school only). Cash awards will be offered at each level - $50 for junior novice, $50 for junior advanced, and $100 for the winner of the competition’s senior level. Winners will also receive a plaque and an encore performance on Saturday, October 7 at 5:00 p.m.
Note: Previous first-place winners may not compete again in the same division, but may compete in the next level up, regardless of age.
There is a non-refundable $25 registration fee required (includes one $15 registration for Flute Day). Checks or money orders should be made payable to "Penn State Flute Club." Please include the registrant's name in the memo line of the check. Send checks (or bring on the day of the competition) to:
- Naomi Seidman
- Young Artist Competition Registration
- 213 Music Building II
- Penn State University
- University Park, PA 16802
Note: parents accompanying their children are not required to register.
Click here for information about the Chamber Music Competition.
Repertoire Requirements (all divisions)
- Two pieces in contrasting genre (i.e. baroque and romantic, classical and modern)
- Pieces may be for solo flute, or flute with accompaniment. Transcriptions are allowed.
- Compositions written with accompaniment must be performed with accompaniment.
- Multiple movements of a multi-movement work (i.e. sonata, concerto, suite) may be considered one piece if within the time limit.
- Compositions should demonstrate the student's ability to play both technically and lyrically.
- Both pieces must be well-prepared and presented.
- Junior Novice (up to age 11): two selections not to exceed 6 minutes in total length
- Junior Advanced (ages 12-14): two selections not to exceed 10 minutes in total length
- Senior (ages 15-18, high school only): two selections not to exceed 12 minutes in total length
- No single composition may be longer than 8 minutes.
Music and Copies
- Performers and accompanists must have original music - no photocopies are allowed.
- Bring an additional 3 complete sets of the music for the adjudicators. Photocopies are acceptable. These will be kept and destroyed at the conclusion.
- Number the measures of all adjudicator scores for ease of reference by the judges.
- Entrants are responsible for obtaining their own accompanists.
- Accompanists of winners must be available to perform on the encore recital occurring Saturday, October 7 at 5:00 p.m.
- Click here for a list of local collaborative pianists.
- Auditionees should convey themselves in a professional manner and wear appropriate attire for the audition and, if selected, for the encore recital.
- Girls should wear a dress, skirt, or dress slacks, and a blouse/sweater. Dresses and skirts should be knee-length or longer when standing.
- Boys should wear a suit or dress slacks, dress shirt, sweater, or sport coat (tie optional).
- Jeans, sweatpants, sneakers, noisy jewelry, heavy perfumes etc. should not be worn.
- Judges' decisions on all awards and eligibility will be final.
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in any category in any division.
- Winners should make arrangements to pick up their awards during Flute Day.
- If the winner in each division is unable to perform at the recital, awards will be mailed.