Free admission, but tickets must be picked up in advance. Tickets are available at any Arts Ticket Center location.
Four choirs from communities and schools in central Pennsylvania join Penn State's Essence of Joy and the Glee Club in a choral celebration of the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. commemorating the 50th anniversary of his assassination. The concert is coordinated by Penn State professor Anthony Leach, music director of Essence of Joy and Essence 2, Ltd.Other participating choirs include the Juniata College Concert Choir and the State College Choral Society, both conducted by Russell Shelley; State College Area High School Mastersingers conducted by Erik Clayton; and Essence 2, Ltd., led by Anthony Leach.
This event is generously funded by the University Park Allocation Committee (UPAC). Parking is provided by State College Motors.
Penn State Glee Club; Christopher Kiver, conductor
- He's got the whole world in his hands ♦ arr. Fenno Heath
- Harriet Tubman ♦ Rollo Dilworth
Juniata College Concert Choir; Russell Shelley, conductor
- I Am His Child ♦ Moses Hogan
- Ev’ry Time I Feel the Spirit ♦ arr. Rollo Dilworth
- Can’t Hide Sinner ♦ arr. Brian Tate
- Elijah Rock ♦ arr. Jester Hairston
- Great Day! ♦ arr. Gilbert Martin
- Balm in Gilead ♦ arr. William Dawson
Essence 2, Ltd.; Anthony T. Leach, music director
- Rock My Soul ♦ arr. Uzee Brown, Jr.
- Hallelujah! from ‘Cry of Jeremiah’ ♦ Rosephanye Powell
- Order My Steps ♦ Glenn E. Burleigh
Essence of Joy; Anthony T. Leach, music director
- Precious Lord arr. Roland Carter
- Keep Your Eye On the Prize (premiere performance) Stan Spottswood
- We Shall Overcome ♦ arr. Paul Arphelius Gatling, III
State College Choral Society; Russell Shelley, conductor
- A Dreamer’s Creed ♦ arr. Rollo Dilworth
- Ella’s Song ♦ Berniece Johnson Reagon
- I Dream a World ♦ Andre Thomas
- This L’il Light of Mine ♦ arr. Anthony T. Leach