The College of Arts and Architecture

Procedure for Requesting a Change of Teacher

Printer-friendly version

The voice faculty expects that, in the ordinary course of events, students will stay with their assigned teacher for their entire degree program. We feel strongly that consistency in the teaching and learning of fundamental techniques far outweighs most problems between student and teacher. Original assignments are based on student requests, auditions for admission to the School of Music, discussions among the voice faculty, and the need to maintain equity in faculty teaching loads.

Rarely, and for good and sufficient reason only, a student or teacher may feel it necessary to request a change. In that case, this procedure must be followed:

1. The student must discuss these issues in person with his or her current teacher and possibilities for reconciliation will be pursued. Under no circumstances should the student speak to any other teacher before this has been accomplished. Such conversations may draw the other teacher into unethical and unprofessional behavior, and cause misunderstandings that work against the best functioning of the voice area.

2. If the student-teacher relationship cannot be resolved, the student must submit a written request for a change, outlining the reason(s). This request may be in the form of an email and is to go to the Coordinator of the Voice Area, who will forward it to the other voice faculty members. NOTE: this request should be submitted before the last day of classes. Changes in teacher assignments cannot be made after a semester begins.

3. The voice faculty will discuss the request and decide the best course of action. The student will be informed concerning the faculty's joint decision. If the faculty approves the change, the student may then contact the teacher with whom he or she wishes to study. This must be done before the first day of classes in the following semester.

4. If a student believes that his or her personal rights or freedoms are being abused in the student-teacher relationship, he or she should go directly to the Director of the School of Music for the swift resolution of the problem(s). The University has established procedures for investigating and resolving those grievances.

5. If a teacher feels that a change of studio would be in the best interest of one of his or her students, that teacher will address the matter directly with the student in question.